A vegan concoction of coconut milk, agar-agar, and probiotic powder, this homemade yogurt is easy to customize using whatever you have on hand.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons agar-agar flakes
- 4 probiotic capsules
- 3 teaspoons white sugar
- Whisk coconut milk in a large, heavy saucepan until smooth. Sprinkle agar-agar flakes on top. Let sit, undisturbed, until flakes are rehydrated, about 5 minutes.
- Heat the milk gently over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until a thermometer inserted into the center reads 180 degrees F (82 degrees C). Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until agar-agar is fully dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the stovetop. Let milk cool, stirring occasionally, until it reaches 115 degrees F (46 degrees C). Speed up the cooling process by placing the saucepan in an ice water bath; stir continually until it reaches the correct temperature.
- Open the probiotic capsules and sprinkle the powder over the milk. Discard capsules. Stir in sugar until dissolved.
- Transfer the yogurt mixture to sterilized glass jars and cover with lids, or leave in the saucepan and cover. Let sit in a warm place, about 110 degrees F (43 degrees C), until thickened to desired consistency, 12 to 24 hours.
- Chill yogurt in the refrigerator until set, 4 to 6 hours.