This hearty chipotle bison chili recipe is full of rich meat, tomatoes, beans, and corn, perfect when you just want a little comfort food.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground bison
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained (Optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers (such as RO*TEL®)
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ¼ cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons masa harina (corn flour)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook and stir beef and bison until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and discard grease. Transfer meat to a bowl.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the same saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute green bell pepper, onion, and garlic until the onion becomes translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cooked meat. Add chili powder, chipotle powder, and cumin. Stir again. Add crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, and sugar. Stir well; reduce heat to low and simmer the chili for at least 25 minutes.
- Combine warm water and masa harina in a bowl. Pour into the chili. Continue simmering until thickened, about 10 minutes more. Season with salt.