Ground beef, red lentils, and cabbage combine in this soup for a hearty, comforting flavor that's perfect for cold nights.
- 1 (48 ounce) can beef broth
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Combine broth, carrots, celery, and lentils in a large stockpot over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to low. Add cabbage, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover and let simmer until vegetables and lentils are cooked thoroughly, about 45 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, onion, and garlic; cook and stir until browned and crumbly and onion is soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain fat from the skillet; add contents to the soup. Serve.