This muffin recipe is made with whole wheat flour, maple syrup instead of sugar, and coconut oil instead of butter for a healthier dairy-free muffin recipe.
- 4 large ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ⅔ cup dark chocolate chips (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with coconut oil or line cups with paper liners.
- Use a fork to mash bananas in a bowl. Blend in egg, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder together in a separate bowl, making a well in the center. Pour banana mixture into the well and stir until batter is just combined; fold in unsweetened coconut and chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until tops spring back when lightly pressed, about 20 minutes. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.