Eggplant slices are dipped in egg whites and whole wheat bread crumbs, then baked instead of fried, creating a healthier version of the traditional dish.
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
- 6 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
- ¾ pound part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Beat together egg, egg whites, and water in a shallow bowl. Dip eggplant slices in egg, then bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until fork tender, 7 to 10 minutes on each side.
- Spread spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with cheeses. Sprinkle basil on top.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 35 minutes.