I came up with this sandwich on my own. My husband wanted a plain grilled ham and cheese sandwich and I decided to experiment with some ingredients from the fridge. He absolutely loved it! Try using a chipotle mayonnaise to spice it up a bit.
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise, or condiment of your choice
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 2 thin slices ham
- ½ roasted red pepper packed in oil, drained and sliced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Spread mayonnaise onto one side of each slice of bread. On one slice of bread, place one slice of provolone cheese, then ham, red peppers, and the other slice of cheese. Top with the other slice of bread with the mayonnaise facing the filling. Butter the outsides of the sandwich, and sprinkle a little bit of Parmesan cheese onto the butter.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat until warm. Fry the sandwich on both sides until golden brown and cheese is melted. If you have an indoor grill, this sandwich may be grilled that way also. Cut the sandwich in half, and serve.