Broccoli, split peas and spinach provide the green in this pureed soup.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 medium (2-1/4" to 3" dia, raw)s potatoes, diced
- ¾ cup dried split peas
- 2 leaf (blank)s bay leaves
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium (blank)s zucchini, diced
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- salt to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine onion, celery, potatoes, split peas, bay leaves and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove the bay leaves and stir in the zucchini, broccoli, basil and black pepper. Simmer 20 minutes, until broccoli is tender.
- Stir in spinach and remove from heat. Puree in a blender or food processor using an immersion blender. Salt to taste.