Green tomatoes are the star ingredient in this savory and sweet quick bread. Serve with a little butter for an afternoon treat.
- 2 cups finely diced green tomatoes
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 ½ cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9x5-inch loaf pans.
- Mix tomatoes, sugar, walnuts, canola oil, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt together in a large bowl until well blended. Mix flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder together in a separate bowl; stir into egg mixture until just blended. Spoon batter into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the middle of each loaf comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool in the pans for about 10 minutes before transferring loaves to wire racks to cool completely.