This is comfort food at its best. My Granny makes it for me frequently when I visit. The sauce is good and thick. Serve with corn muffins.
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 4 (4 ounce) cube steaks
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups tomato juice
- 1 cup ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge the cube steaks in a mixture of flour, salt and pepper, and brown them in the hot oil.
- Arrange steaks in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle the green pepper, onion, celery, mushrooms, oregano, and onion soup mix over the steaks. Stir together the tomato juice and ketchup; pour over everything in the dish.
- Bake for about 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until the meat is cooked through, and the sauce is thickened.