This has been a recipe in our family since before the turn of the century. I am 70, so you can imagine when it started to get down to my sister and me. Now my grand-nephew enjoys them. Keep under lock and key, or they will disappear in a trice!
- ¾ cup butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs eggs
- 4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy. Stir in the unsweetened chocolate and vanilla until well blended. Mix in the flour, and then the walnuts. Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack before cutting into bars.