If you love casseroles, but need to avoid gluten or dairy, try this gluten-free, dairy-free asparagus casserole.
- cooking spray
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- ⅔ cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 teaspoons dairy-free margarine, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 7 x 11-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add asparagus, cover, and steam until fork-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Combine bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast in a bowl. Sprinkle 1/2 of the bread crumb mixture on the bottom of the prepared baking dish; top with asparagus spears and season lightly with salt. Reserve remaining bread crumbs for the topping.
- Combine raw cashews, chicken broth, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, garlic, nutmeg, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a small food processor or blender. Blend at medium-high speed until mixture is smooth, about 3 minutes. Add egg white and blend at medium-high speed for 1 more minute.
- Spread blended contents evenly over the asparagus spears, and top with bacon, sliced almonds, and reserved bread crumbs. Drizzle melted margarine over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven on the center rack until top is lightly browned and casserole has set, about 30 minutes.