Gingerbread is an old-fashioned, warm, and spicy treat you can make easily at home with this recipe.
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup light molasses
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C). Grease and lightly flour one 8 inch square baking pan.
- Cream shortening and sugar until light. Add the egg and molasses and beat thoroughly.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, ground ginger, and ground cinnamon.
- Bring water to a boil and add alternately with flour mixture to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy.