In a departure from the standard slices, this simple recipe serves up chopped green tomatoes in a fragrant, lightly fried mixture of bread crumbs, fennel seeds, and mustard powder.
- 2 cups chopped green tomatoes, or more to taste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 5 tablespoons mild oil, such as canola
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a wide skillet over medium heat.
- Combine tomatoes and egg in a medium bowl; stir until tomatoes are thoroughly coated with egg.
- Mix together bread crumbs, garlic powder, fennel seeds, mustard powder, and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture onto tomatoes and stir to coat. Pour tomatoes into the hot oil and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 15 minutes.