Eggplant is first grilled and then fried with garlic, absorbing less oil and making for a great side dish or an appetizer for a group of people.
- 2 eggplant, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- salt to taste
- Preheat an electric grill for high heat and lightly oil the grate. Grill eggplant for 8 minutes.
- Heat 3/4 cup olive oil in a deep skillet. Fry grilled eggplant for 4 minutes. Turn and cook until soft but not falling apart, an additional 4 minutes. Drain eggplant on paper towels and discard oil.
- Heat skillet again over medium heat and add remaining 1/4 oil. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add vinegar. Return sliced eggplant back to the skillet and cook for 2 to 4 minutes. Remove, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.