Science says: Shrimp is a good low-fat, high-protein substitute for meat and does not raise cholesterol.
- 6 eaches spring roll wrappers (available in Asian markets)
- 12 medium (blank)s medium shrimp, cooked and shelled
- 1 cup shredded leaf lettuce
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup peeled, seeded, chopped cucumber
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- ¼ teaspoon grated ginger root
- In a bowl of cool water, soak a wrapper until limp. Lay wrapper out flat. Place 1/6 of each ingredient down middle of wrapper, starting with lettuce. Fold over each end and tightly roll the wrapper around the contents, as if making a burrito. Moisten at seam; press to close.
- Lay on plate, cover with moist paper towel and refrigerate until ready to serve. Then slice in two and serve with Quick Thai Dipping Sauce, below, or peanut sauce.
- To make the Quick Thai Dipping Sauce, combine all ingredients in a small bowl.