This is quite a refreshing dessert. Serve plain, or with whipped cream or ice cream.
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 5 cups peeled and sliced pears
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Place a baking sheet on the bottom oven rack.
- Combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, and lemon zest in mixing bowl. Roll out half the pastry and line a 9-inch pie pan.
- Arrange pear slices in layers in the pastry-lined pan, sprinkling the sugar mixture over each layer. Dot with butter and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Roll out remaining dough for the top crust. Use your finger dipped in a small bowl of water to moisten the rim of the bottom crust. Place top crust over filling, and trim edge using kitchen shears or a sharp paring knife. Fold edge under bottom crust, pressing to seal. Flute edge. Cut slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes longer. Allow to cool several hours before serving.