Crusty, chewy bread ribboned with a savory filling. This is an authentic French recipe.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup margarine
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- In a large bowl combine the yeast, sugar, 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1 1/2 cups of the flour.
- In a sauce pan combine the milk, water and 1/4 cup of the butter or margarine until 110 degrees F (38 degrees C). Add milk mixture and vinegar to the flour mixture and blend at low speed of the mixer until moistened. Beat at medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups additional flour to form a sticky dough. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead adding 1/2 to 1 cup more of flour until dough is smooth and pliable. Place dough in a greased bowl and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume.
- Punch down dough and roll into a rectangle shape about 16x8 inches.
- In a saucepan heat the onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, parsley and 2 tablespoons butter or margarine until butter or margarine is melted. Spread over the dough rectangle and starting from the 16 inch side roll the dough up tightly like a jelly roll.
- Place the bread seam side down onto a greased cookie sheet and let rise until doubled in sized.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Bake bread until golden brown about 20 to 30 minutes. Brush hot bread with melted butter and sprinkle with chopped parsley.