You won 't need pastry for this beautiful pie
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 ½ cups diced apple without peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch pie pan.
- Combine 1/4 cup butter, white sugar, egg, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda, flour, nuts, apples, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and hot water in the order given. (Batter will be thick). Pour into pie pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Serve with cream cheese frosting. To make frosting: mix cream cheese, 3 tablespoons butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and sifted confectioners' sugar. Beat until smooth. Can serve hot or warm. Also, can refrigerate and let cream cheese topping set up for a cold dessert.