A heartwarming blend of sugar and spice. These cookies will make your whole house smell delicious.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup shortening
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup coarse granulated sugar
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon. Set aside. In a medium bowl, cream together the brown sugar, butter, and shortening. Stir in the molasses and egg. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients until everything is incorporated. Cover and chill dough for at least 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.
- Roll the chilled dough into 1 inch balls. Roll each ball in the coarse sugar. If you do not have coarse sugar, you can use regular sugar. Place cookie 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets, and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 9 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until cookies are cracked but still soft in the center. Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks. Store cooled cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.