Impress the guests at your child's next birthday party with these vanilla-filled chocolate cupcakes frosted with a deliciously decadent cocoa frosting.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- ¾ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 ½ tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt for cupcakes together into a medium bowl. Combine mayonnaise, sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Slowly add flour mixture and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Divide batter evenly amongst the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven until tops spring back when lightly pressed, 25 to 28 minutes. Cool in the tins for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are baking, stir together flour and salt for the filling in a small saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and pudding-like, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover, and refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.
- Cream shortening and confectioners' sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually mix in chilled pudding mixture and vanilla extract, beating until light and fluffy. Transfer filling to a pastry bag fitted with a small tip.
- Push the pastry tip into the top of a cupcake about 1 inch deep. Squeeze filling to fill cupcake, stopping before it starts to leak outside of the hole. Repeat to fill remaining cupcakes.
- Combine butter, milk, and cocoa powder for the frosting in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat and transfer to a mixing bowl. Immediately add confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract; beat well. Frost cupcakes with warm frosting.