Everything in this strata recipe came from a farm stand. Eat it as a main dish for dinner, or a brunch option loaded with summer vegetables.
- cooking spray
- 1 (1 pound) loaf sourdough bread, sliced
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup diced sweet onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 12 ounces cooked and crumbled bacon
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon herb seasoning blend (such as Spice Merchant® Great Lakes blend)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Spray a 9x13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Lay slices of bread in the bottom of the prepared pan in a single layer, trimming and filling in gaps as necessary. Spread 1 cup Cheddar cheese, onion, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, red bell pepper, and bacon on top, in that order.
- Whisk eggs, sour cream, mustard, seasoning blend, salt, and pepper together in a bowl until well combined. Pour mixture over bread, making sure to soak the top layer.
- Cover baking pan and refrigerate strata at least 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Uncover strata and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining Cheddar cheese evenly on top and return to the hot oven. Bake until Cheddar cheese is melted, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Let strata stand 5 minutes before serving.