Esquites is an off-the-cob version of elote--the sweet, smoky, Mexican corn served from street vendors. Enjoy as a side with any Mexican or BBQ fare.
- 4 tablespoons butter, or more as needed
- 6 ears fresh corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon dried epazote, or to taste (Optional)
- 4 tablespoons Mexican crema, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, or more to taste
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup crumbled Cotija cheese, or to taste
- 1 pinch chipotle pepper powder, or more to taste (Optional)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (Optional)
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn and epazote. Cook, stirring frequently, until cooked to your preference, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Combine crema and lemon juice in a bowl; season with salt. Mix crema into the hot corn and transfer mixture to a serving dish. Let cool to room temperature.
- Sprinkle Cotija cheese and chipotle powder on top of corn and serve with lime wedges.