Elk steaks are seasoned and cooked while you prepare creamy mashed potatoes in this complete recipe that's quick, easy, and great for families.
- 9 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 12 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided, or as needed
- 4 elk steaks
- 2 pinches Montreal steak seasoning, or to taste
- 2 pinches garlic salt, or to taste
- ½ cup milk
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon butter in a pan over medium-low heat. Add steaks and season the sides that are facing up with steak seasoning and garlic salt. Cook for 8 minutes. Flip and season with additional steak seasoning and garlic salt; continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove steaks from pan, cover, and allow to rest for 7 to 10 minutes to allow for juices to redistribute throughout the meat.
- Drain potatoes and mash with milk, remaining butter, salt, and pepper until fluffy.
- Divide steaks and mashed potatoes among serving plates.