Distinctive and easy to prepare! This turkey stuffing is made with orange-flavored liqueur, spicy Italian sausage, apples, and pecans.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 ½ cups orange liqueur
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 (16 ounce) package herb-seasoned dry bread stuffing mix
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 4 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb)s Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and chopped
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the raisins in a small saucepan, and cover with 1 cup of liqueur. Bring to boil, remove from heat, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Saute the celery and onion in the butter for 10 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In the same skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat until crumbled and evenly brown. Drain.
- Combine the sausage and stuffing mix with the celery and onion mixture. Stir in the raisins and liqueur, pecans, and apples. Mix in melted butter, chicken broth, 1/2 cup orange liqueur; the stuffing should be totally moistened. Season with sage, salt, and pepper.