This is a healthy, hearty, yet elegant recipe that is good enough for guests. It is also very easy and can be made with little notice. With low-carb pasta this can a good low-carb meal idea.
- 1 cup penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 10 spears asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 18 eaches peeled and deveined large shrimp (21 to 25 per lb)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and onion, and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour in the white wine, and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the red pepper flakes, butter, and asparagus; cook until the asparagus is just tender, about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and lemon juice, continue cooking until the shrimp have turned pink and are no longer translucent in the center. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss the cooked penne pasta with the shrimp and asparagus mixture. Sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan cheese to garnish.