Acclaimed since medieval times for their medicinal properties, elderberry flowers can be steeped with lemon juice, sugar, and citric acid to make a refreshing juice concentrate.
- 24 elderberry flower heads
- 4 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 quarts boiling water
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces citric acid powder
- Combine the elderflower heads, sugar, lemon juice, and citric acid in a large acid-proof container. Pour the boiling water over the ingredients and let steep for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the liquid by pouring it through muslin into a large bowl. Ladle into bottles and refrigerate, or pour into freezer containers and freeze.