This exciting twist on lasagna features beans, Gruyere cheese, and a delicious bechamel sauce.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups cold milk
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 eaches no-boil lasagna noodles
- 4 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the onion until tender. Mix in garlic, and cook until heated through. Mix in red beans, tomatoes, and red bell pepper. Season with basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, and gradually mix in flour until smooth. Slowly stir in the milk. Mix in Parmesan cheese, and continue to cook and stir until slightly thickened.
- Spread 1/2 the red bean mixture in a 9x9 inch casserole dish, and top with 2 lasagna noodles. Layer with remaining bean mixture and remaining noodles. Cover with the sauce, and top with Gruyere cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned.