Carne guisada is a hearty Mexican-style beef stew. It is excellent with tortillas or cornbread, and is also great as a burrito filling.
- 3 pounds chuck roast, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 medium potatoes, unpeeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium (blank)s red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups beef broth
- Combine beef, potatoes, onion, peppers, and garlic in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Toss the beef mixture with the flour mixture until evenly coated. Place the mixture into a slow cooker, and pour in enough beef broth to barely cover the meat. If you don't have quite enough, you can fill the rest of the way with water.
- Cook on Low until the beef is tender, 6 to 8 hours.