This authentic Mexican pork carnitas recipe takes very little effort and uses only a handful of ingredients. Just the way we make it in Mexico: lots of flavor and no fuss.
- 1 (5 pound) boneless pork shoulder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Trim excess fat from pork shoulder and cut pork into 2-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Heat a cast iron braiser over medium-high heat. Pour oil into the pot and brown pork on all sides, about 10 minutes. Cover with the lid.
- Bake in the preheated oven until pork is crispy on the outside and soft, but fully cooked, on the inside, about 1 hour.