If you love Vietnamese flavors, try this recipe for homemade crispy shrimp balls for your next gathering.
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups fine bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup vegetable oil for frying, or as needed
- Rinse shrimp well under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. Coarsely chop shrimp into medium pieces and place in the bowl of a food processor.
- Add 1 beaten egg, shallot, sesame oil, cornstarch, brown sugar, fish sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper to the shrimp in the food processor. Blend until a smooth paste is created. Transfer shrimp paste to a bowl and refrigerate until slightly hardened, about 30 minutes.
- Remove paste from refrigerator. Use an ice cream scoop, a tablespoon, or your hands to form shrimp paste into balls.
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add shrimp balls, cover, and steam until they become opaque, about 5 minutes. Transfer steamed shrimp balls to a plate and allow to cool to room temperature, about 5 minutes.
- Place bread crumbs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Place 2 beaten eggs in a separate bowl. Roll steamed shrimp balls in bread crumbs, then in beaten eggs, then again in bread crumbs and then place on a plate.
- Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat. Cook shrimp balls until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.