Carrots are pureed in a veggie broth and then added to a bubbly hot mixture of half and half, flour, parsley and ground red pepper. Once mingled, this velvety soup is served up in bowls and enjoyed.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 2 ½ cups sliced carrots
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Steam carrots until tender.
- In a blender or food processor, combine cooked carrots and 3/4 cup broth. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, parsley, basil, and red pepper flakes. Add half-and-half cream all at once. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in carrot mixture and remaining broth. Season with salt and black pepper. Thin with milk or water if needed.