A sweet cream cheese filling and fresh blackberries fill puff pastry dough in this easy Danish recipe that the entire family will love.
- ½ (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 extra large egg yolk, at room temperature
- ½ tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 8 fresh blackberries
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat cream cheese and sugar together by hand or with an electric mixer on low speed until creamy but not whipped. Add egg yolk, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and salt and stir until combined.
- Unfold puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Roll slightly if needed to achieve a 10-inch square. Cut into quarters. Place a heaping tablespoon of cheese filling into the center of each square. Add 2 blackberries to each square on top of the cheese filling.
- Beat egg white and water together in a bowl. Brush the edges of each square with egg wash. Bring opposite corners together at the center, being careful to pinch the ends together to ensure a good seal. Repeat with the other corners to guarantee filling doesn't fall out. Repeat this process with remaining squares.
- Brush the tops of the pastries with more egg wash and place on the prepared baking sheet. Let rest in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned and puffed, about 20 minutes.