Adding not-too-sweet dulce de leche caramel to the filling of your apple pie is sure to take it up an impressive notch this Thanksgiving.
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups dulce de leche
- 5 large baking apples - peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 (14.1 ounce) package pastry for 9-inch double-crust pie
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon together in a bowl until well blended. Add dulce de leche; stir until evenly distributed in the sugar mixture. Stir in apples until evenly coated.
- Roll out pie crusts on a lightly floured work surface. Line a 9-inch pie plate with 1 crust. Pour in apple filling, heaping it in the middle. Cover with second crust. Pinch edges together to seal. Cut several slits into the top with a sharp knife.
- Bake in the preheated oven until edges are golden, about 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking until apples are hot and bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes more.