Borscht made with beef, chipotle peppers, and jalapeno peppers gives a southern twist to the traditional Russian soup. Serve with sour cream and bread.
- 30 fluid ounces chicken broth, or more as needed
- 1 pound cubed beef stew meat
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 12 ounces crimini mushrooms, chopped, or more to taste
- 1 large beet, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 8 large red kale leaves, stalks removed and discarded and leaves chopped
- ½ (7 ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 bunch fresh sage, leaves removed and stems discarded
- 1 bunch fresh dill, leaves removed and stalks discarded
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup sour cream, or as desired
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a stockpot; add beef stew meat, potatoes, mushrooms, beet, onion, kale leaves, chipotle peppers, jalapeno pepper, garlic, sage, dill, and bay leaves. Reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender, about 3 hours.
- Ladle borscht into serving bowls and top with sour cream.