Stuffed green bell peppers filled with ground beef, rice, and mozzarella cheese are easy to prepare for a weeknight meal.
- 6 eaches green bell peppers, tops and seeds removed (reserve tops)
- salt to taste
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped and liquid reserved
- ½ cup long-grain white rice
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®)
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce, divided
- Chop reserved green bell pepper tops and measure out 1/4 cup.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil; cook whole green bell peppers until slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and season inside of bell peppers with a little salt.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir beef, onion, garlic, and reserved 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper in the hot skillet until ground beef is browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes; drain and discard grease.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Stir canned tomatoes and liquid, rice, 1/2 cup water, Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, hot sauce, and black pepper into ground beef mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover skillet with a lid, and simmer until rice is tender, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Stir 3/4 the mozzarella cheese and 3/4 the tomato sauce into ground beef-rice mixture. Stuff bell peppers with ground beef-rice mixture; top each with remaining mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce. Arrange stuffed peppers in a baking dish. Cover dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cooked through and cheese is melted, 30 to 35 minutes.