An exotic hot curry for chicken, potatoes and onion, this makes any occasion festive.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water, or as needed
- 6 red onions, chopped
- 25 chile peppers, sun-dried
- 7 candlenuts
- 1 shrimp paste
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 lemon grass
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 2 cups water
- 2 ¼ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 ¼ pounds potatoes
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. In a medium bowl combine the onions, chile peppers, candlenuts, shrimp paste, turmeric, ginger, galangal, lemon grass and mustard seed. Blend together with a little water to form a fine paste. Add to skillet and saute until fragrant and almost dry.
- Add 2 cups water and bring all to a boil. Add chicken and potatoes. Reduce heat and let simmer about 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked (no longer pink inside) and curry is quite thick in consistency.
- Add salt to taste. Remove from heat and add vinegar. Mix well and serve. This dish is best served with steamed white rice, as it is full of flavor.