Very ripe bananas add a wonderful sweetness to this family favorite. Add whatever nuts you have on hand to personalize this breakfast treat.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- ¼ cup flax seed meal
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (Optional)
- Preheat an oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan, or line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the bananas.
- Mix in the self-rising flour and flax seed meal until just incorporated; fold in the walnuts.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes for muffins, or 1 hour for a loaf. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.