Macintosh apples and pumpkin pulp are pureed with sauteed aromatic vegetables and curry seasonings in this soup which is garnished with a swirl of sour cream.
- 4 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb)s Macintosh apples - peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, curry, and cumin; saute, stirring often, until onion is soft and fragrant.
- Stir in apples, pumpkin, broth, water, and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Puree soup in a food processor or a blender.
- Return soup to saucepan; reheat, covered, over low heat.