This is my favorite recipe, shown to me by my mother, and shown to her by her mother and so on. It is amazing! Make sure to follow instructions perfectly so the beans do not come out salty. The secret is the teaspoon of sugar. Serve with white rice.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans (preferably non-seasoned)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 (1.41 ounce) package sazon seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon dried oregano, or to taste
- 2 pinches salt, or to taste
- 2 pinches freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- Combine black beans in a large pot over medium heat. Add olive oil, garlic, sugar, bay leaf, sazon seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper; stir to combine. Stir in onion and bell pepper. Cover pot and simmer until flavors are well combined and onions and bell peppers are cooked thoroughly, 8 to 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and adjust seasoning.