Feta cheese is covered in sesame seeds, fried in olive oil till crisp, then drizzled with honey and served warm - a wonderful Greek meze that is easy and oh so tasty!
- 1 (8 ounce) slice feta cheese
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- 1 pinch ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey, or more to taste
- Slice feta into four fingers and place in the freezer for 10 minutes to help it hold its shape while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Set out egg, flour, and sesame seeds in three separate shallow dishes. Season egg with black pepper.
- Pour oil into a small skillet to a depth of about 1/2-inch. Heat over medium-high heat.
- Remove feta from freezer and dredge each finger first in egg, then flour, egg again, followed by sesame seeds. Evenly coat all sides. Add breaded fingers to the hot oil.
- Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from oil and briefly drain excess oil on kitchen paper.
- Place feta fingers on a serving plate and drizzle with honey. Enjoy straightaway while hot.