Crispy chickpeas join harissa, sauteed vegetables, and a zesty lemon yogurt dressing in this grain bowl that makes a flavorful vegetarian dinner for two.
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup barley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas - rinsed, drained, and dried
- 1 pinch smoked paprika, or to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 splash red wine
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- ⅓ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Bring water and barley to a boil in a saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until barley is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Drizzle the pan with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Spread chickpeas in the oil and sprinkle with smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven until crispy, about 40 minutes. Leave in the oven to cool for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Saute shallot and garlic in the hot oil until soft and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add carrots and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in red wine. Cook until wine has almost completely reduced, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in harissa and cook for 1 minute. Pour in broth; cook until it has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl.
- Stir chickpeas into the mixture and add 1/4 cup parsley.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the same skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Saute almonds in the hot oil until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare the lemon yogurt by stirring yogurt, lemon zest, honey, and lemon juice together in a bowl.
- Prepare the dish with barley on the bottom, followed by chickpeas, toasted almonds, and lemon yogurt. Garnish with 1 teaspoon parsley.