This easy and delicious Italian-inspired orecchiette dish is made complete with a creamy sauce, Italian sausage, and broccolini.
- 12 ounces orecchiette pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- ¼ cup diced green bell pepper
- ½ cup diced green onion
- 1 bunch broccolini, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ cups half-and-half
- 6 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and orecchiette and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large (10-inch) skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir sausage in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and discard most of the fat. Transfer cooked sausage to a bowl and return skillet to medium-high heat.
- Add bell pepper and green onion to the skillet. Saute until white of onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes. Add broccolini and garlic; saute until broccolini is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes more. Set vegetables aside.
- Melt butter in a larger skillet over medium heat. Add half-and-half and Parmesan cheese, stirring constantly until bubbly, about 5 minutes. Add cream cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook until sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes more.
- Add cooked sausage and vegetables to the skillet. Stir in drained pasta. Serve immediately.