Quick and creamy tomato soup with pesto. You can spice this up with hot sauce or chile oil if you like it hot.
- 1 (32 fluid ounce) container chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- Pour chicken broth into a large saucepan, and bring to a boil. Boil until reduced by about 1/3.
- Pour in both cans of the tomatoes, and return to a simmer. Pour in the half-and-half, and turn heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes. Puree in batches in a blender, or use an immersion blender in the pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls, and swirl in a spoonful of pesto before serving.