Tomato stock is thickened with a roux and combined with milk to create this flavorful soup.
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Simmer tomatoes, onions, sugar, and salt and pepper. Once onions are soft, strain. Set liquid aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter or margarine. Stir in the flour. Whisk in the milk, and cook until thickened. Slowly add the reserved tomato liquid, and gently heat. Serve hot.