Leftover chicken, fresh spinach, cream cheese, and mozzarella cheese combine to make this delicious, creamy, comfort-food casserole that's perfect for any occasion.
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or as needed
- 2 cups chopped onions
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ pounds cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 2 (9 ounce) packages fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 (8 ounce) tubs whipped cream cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Spray a medium or large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and a generous pinch of salt and pepper; saute until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add cooked chicken to the onions. Mix in spinach and cream cheese until combined; you can add spinach a little bit at a time to make it easier. Add 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese and stir until everything is thoroughly incorporated and cream cheese has no clumps remaining. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese has melted and filling is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.