Instead of going out to your favorite coffee shop and buying a pumpkin muffin, make your own tasty treats with this straightforward recipe for delicious spiced cream cheese-filled muffins.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can cooked pumpkin
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, as garnish
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- Stir the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, pumpkin pie spice, cardamom, ginger, salt, and baking soda together in a bowl.
- Beat the brown sugar and the eggs together with an electric mixer in a large bowl until smooth. Add 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and pumpkin; continue beating until integrated. Pour the flour mixture into the egg mixture and beat until just incorporated.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups about half-full with the batter. Spoon about 1 teaspoon cream cheese into the center of each muffin cup and poke it down into the middle of the batter with a finger. Sprinkle the sunflower seeds over each muffin.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden and the tops spring back when lightly pressed, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pan 5 minutes and remove to a rack to cool completely. Be extra careful; the cream cheese stays hot for a while!