Just like real confetti, Chef John's veggie-packed, pilaf-style rice salad will brighten any dinner party, with a mix of green beans, carrots, bell peppers, and herbs.
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups boiling water
- 3 carrots, peeled
- ½ cup green beans
- ½ cup frozen green peas, thawed
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 large red bell peppers, diced
- 1 large orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or more to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- ¾ cup sherry vinegar, divided
- ¾ cup olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine rice, salt, and olive oil in a baking dish. Stir to coat rice completely. Pour in boiling water. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until rice is tender, about 35 minutes.
- Let rest, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork until no large clumps remain. Let cool until barely warm and almost room-temperature.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and cold water. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Slice carrots into long matchsticks. Boil carrots and green beans until beans are bright green, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain in a colander and immediately immerse in ice water for several minutes to stop the cooking process. Drain and dice vegetables.
- Transfer rice to a large mixing bowl. Add carrots, green beans, peas, onions, and bell peppers. Season with salt and cayenne. Pour in 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup oil. Mix thoroughly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to let flavors blend, 4 to 24 hours.
- Taste and season salad with more salt as needed. Pour in remaining vinegar and oil. Add dill and parsley and mix well. Let salad warm up slightly before serving, if desired.