Try this recipe for spelt flakes combined with cooked apples and pure maple syrup for a deliciously sweet breakfast cereal that almost tastes like a dessert!
- 4 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 4 apples - peeled, cored and chopped
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 4 ½ cups water
- 3 cups rolled spelt flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- Melt ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add apples and cook until softened and coated in melted ghee, about 5 minutes. Add maple syrup and cook until all liquid has evaporated and apples have a mostly translucent, caramelized appearance, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in spelt flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until spelt flakes are cooked through and all water has been absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in cinnamon and sea salt during last few minutes of cooking. Add to the apple mixture and mix until well combined.