Take the fuss out of homemade truffles with a few easy coating ideas that provide instant flavor and embellishment!
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1 (4 ounce) bar semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) bar bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 (0.81 ounce) package freeze-dried strawberries
- 10 starlight hard peppermint candies
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup powdered peanut butter (such as PB2®)
- Heat cream in a small saucepan over medium until steaming, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine semisweet and bittersweet chocolate with butter in a medium bowl. Pour hot cream over chocolate and let stand for 1 minute. Stir until melted and smooth. Stir in vanilla and salt. Pour into a shallow dish, such as a pie plate, cover, and refrigerate until ganache is scoopable, about 30 minutes.
- Place strawberries in a mini food processor and pulse until finely chopped but not powdered, about eight 1-second pulses. Place in a small bowl.
- Place mints in a zip-top bag and whack with a mallet about 5 times until coarsely crushed. Transfer to a separate small bowl. Place cocoa powder and powdered peanut butter in small bowls.
- Scoop tablespoonfuls of ganache and roll into balls; your hands will warm up the ganache if it got too firm. Place on a parchment-lined plate.
- Roll 3 truffles in each coating, pressing to adhere. Chill until ready to serve.