Chocolate orange cookies are a fantastic two-color cookie treat for Christmas or any other time of year.
- 1 (1 ounce) square unsweetened chocolate
- ¾ cup butter
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a microwave-safe dish, melt the unsweetened chocolate, stirring frequently until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. Divide dough in two. Mix orange zest into one half, and melted chocolate into the other half. Use a bit of each mixture to form a ball about 1 inch in diameter.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until center is set. Cool on wire racks.